Recipes New and Old

http://virginia-grandmashashhouse.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

RAINY DAY






Good Morning. Between the raindrops, I decided to stay in today. Going along just fine of my Christmas Projects. Oh, if you could see them. This one is finished and as you can see, it is based on Sunbonnet Sue with her purple and yellow bonnet and dress. Yes, It's a Christmas Gift. I do make quilts to sell, this particular one would sell now for between $400.00 and $500.00 dollars. It is an individual size because of the pattern. The length is double bed and the width is just over a twin bed size.




The one I'm working on currently and expect to finish today is based on Transformer (the good buy) It is double bed size.


Still one to go. No picture yet. It is based on a musical background. It also is double bed size.


I will be making more quilts, crib, single and double bed size when thise projects are finished.


Within the Christmas agenda, also is a crocheted bedspread. It will be 110 by 118 inches, worked in a diagonal pattern. Takes 14 skeins of yarn and lots and lots of work.


But, enough about Christmas. I got a very pleasant surprise yesterday. Had not really looked at my flower garden since the frost set almost everything in dormancy until spring. My sewing machine sets in front of a window overlooking the flower garden. When I opened the drapes yesterday, there was a beautiful yellow flower about 5 inches in diameter. Looked like a Dandelion but grows on stems that reach about 20 inches high. Spent some time looking up this mystery flower to find out it is a windflower, Rudbeckia laciniata. I haven't the slighted idea of what translates into, but they say the common name is Hawk Flower. The articles I read said is a prolific. It is so pretty, it can come up anyplace in my garden. In fact, I saved seeds from an earlier blossoming.
Read a little poem while looking for the Hawk Flower. It is lovely. A Robert Louis Stephenson adapt tation of a a child in the mother's flower garden.
As from the house your mother sees
You playing round the garden trees,
So you may see, if you will look
Through the windows of this book,
Another child, far, far away,
And in another garden, play.
- Robert Louis Stevenson
So long, for today.




No comments:

Post a Comment